Fort Stewart

Fort Stewart

Fort Stewart, the largest military base in the eastern United States in terms of acreage, was commissioned in 1940 as an operational base for antiaircraft training.  During the war, it was known as Camp Stewart, named for Daniel Stewart, a Revolutionary War hero.  Its location, an area forty miles west of Savannah, was chosen because the land was level and in the rural countryside.  The new facility included soldiers’ barracks, a mess hall, a 2,000-seat theater, a laundry facility, and a 992-bed hospital.  There were also recreational facilities built such as a service hall, where soldiers could socialize, play games, and drink beer during their off time.

The base was first home to local National Guardsmen, but in 1941, became home to soldiers from around the country.  After the U.S. entry into World War II, the base was not only used for antiaircraft training, but was also a prisoner-of-war camp, holding captured German and Italian soldiers.  WASP’s (Women’s Airforce Service Pilots) also trained at Camp Stewart, hauling off targets used in the antiaircraft drills.  Camp Stewart reached fort status in 1956.

Today, Fort Stewart is home to the Army Flight Training Center.  It is still an active base, and has trained soldiers in every U.S. war since World War II.

Next